Florida is Developing the Largest Community Solar Panel Installation

PV TechMarch 4, 2020392

Summary:

Florida approved the largest community solar panel installation in the United States.

Main Article:

Florida Power and Light Company is Developing the Largest Community Solar Panel Installation

Florida Power & Light Company (FPL) is set to develop the “largest” community solar project in the US after receiving the go-ahead from state regulators on Tuesday.

FPL's solar energy project will comprise 20 solar power plants with a cumulative capacity of 1.49GW. Construction costs are pegged at US$1.752 billion, or US$1,176 per kW.

In a statement, FPL CEO Eric Silagy touted the FPL Solar Together project as the “largest shared solar programme in the country,” with its approval marking “significant forward progress for the solar landscape of not only Florida but the entire United States."

The development has been backed by solar energy advocacy groups Vote Solar and the Southern Alliance for Green Energy, as well as by local cities, counties, and prospective corporate customers, 7-Eleven and Walmart.

Should FPL's 1.49GW project be fully deployed as planned, it will represent a sizeable chunk of the 3.5GW of community solar expected over the next five years by US solar body the SEIA.

FPL expects the community solar panel installation to generate about US$112 million in savings for customers throughout its lifetime, and US$249 million in net cost savings for participants and customers.

The 20 plants will be split into five clusters with individual solar energy project capacity sitting at 74.5MW, according to a post-hearing brief filed by FPL to Florida’s Public Service Commission (FPSC) on 30 January. The plants are expected to be commissioned by mid-2021.

By 2023, roughly 30% of total non-residential solar power capacity in the US will come from community solar, according to the SEIA.

Project deemed in public interest by public service commission

Despite opposition to the project from the state’s Office of Public Counsel, the FPSC “approved the Settlement Agreement because this unique solar program is in the public interest of the State of Florida, and offers FPL customers the opportunity to advance renewable energy in Florida,” according to FPSC Chairman Gary Clark.

Participating customers will subscribe to a portion of new solar power capacity and will receive, in return, credits expected to reduce their monthly bills over time.

Initially, 75% of capacity, or 1,117.5MW, will be allocated to commercial, industrial and state customers. The remaining 25% will be earmarked for residential and small business customers, of which 10% will be preserved for low-income customers. 

“For years, access to solar energy for many Floridians was not economical or easily accessible,” FPL’s Silagy said. “Now, FPL SolarTogether will provide more of our customers access to the environmental and financial benefits of solar generation regardless of where they live or how much money they make while helping increase fuel diversity, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and launch Florida into a leadership position for solar energy.”

Competitive tenders for solar panels, power conversion units, step-up transformers, substation and interconnection facilities and EPC contractors were held by FPL in 2018 and 2019, according to documents submitted by FPL to the FPSC.

Want to see how a solar system will look on your rooftop? Use the HahaSmart design DIY tool and then use the price checker tool to see how much you can save by switching to solar.

Solar system price checker

Comments

Design Your Solar Home

START

Hot spots

12 3

Input your address to see if it is solar friendly and how much you can save with solar.

Great. Your address is perfect for solar. Solar incentive is still available. Select monthly utility cost and calculate the size of solar system you will need now.

Whoa ! Going solar is definitely a smart decision.

kw System size years Payback period Lifetime savings

No money down, 100% finance is available.

adv

Want to Go Solar in Florida? Sign Up Here!

Do not show this information again.