Jessica PirroSeptember 13, 201915990
Solar power is growing immensely popular in the United States. With more and more people adding solar panel installations to their rooftops, there is also an increase in solar installers as well as a growing number of solar companies throughout each state in the United States. In part one and part two we discussed the top seven states for solar energy in the United States. Today we are adding three more states to the top states for solar panel installations.
Solar in Massachusetts
It may surprise some people that solar in Massachusetts is one of the more prominent states for solar energy. Despite the brutal winters, Solar in Massachusetts ranks 8th in the United States for installed solar energy. There is currently 2,534.61 MW of solar energy installed in Massachusetts, which is enough solar electricity to provide power for 428,380 homes. The state currently uses solar electricity for 10.69% of the state's electricity needs. The solar energy industry has created 10,210 jobs for Massachusetts residents. There are 545 solar companies in Massachusetts, 85 Manufacturers, 211 solar installers and developers, 249 other jobs. The state has thus far the state has invested $6,515.05 million in solar energy, and the projected growth in the next five years is adding 1,550 MW of solar energy and projecting that solar in Massachusetts will be ranked 13th. There are currently 92,031 solar panel installations in Massachusetts that are currently operating.
The Massachusetts solar energy market is shaped by net metering and a renewable energy portfolio standard with a solar energy goal, along with an accompanying SREC market. The Solar Massachusetts Renewable Target (SMART) program was approved in 2018 and has the potential to drive significant deployments of solar panels in the state, and act as a guide for other states to follow.
Like the other states, Massachusetts has some pretty notable solar panel installations:
- The Barnstable Municipal Airport solar panel installation was completed in 2015. This project of solar panels can generate 6.9 MW of solar electricity, which is enough to power 1,133 Massachusetts homes.
- Bed Bath and Beyond, Boston Scientific and FedEx in Massachusetts have installed solar panels for their businesses. General Growth Properties has installed one of the largest solar panel installations in Massachusetts, with 2 MW of solar energy capacity.
- 100 Meadow Solar in Boston has one of the largest solar panel installations in Massachusetts, with its solar energy capacity being 3 MW. The solar panels generate enough solar electricity to power more than 649 homes.
Solar in New York
The city that never sleeps, is currently ranked 9th in the nation when it comes to solar energy, with 1,717.83 MW of solar energy installed in the state, which generates enough solar electricity to provide power for over 296,413 homes. Currently, the state uses solar electricity for 1.40% of its electrical needs. The solar energy industry has created 9,729 jobs in solar energy jobs. 859 solar companies are currently in New York, with 100 solar manufacturers, 301 solar installers and developers, 458 other solar energy jobs. So far the state has invested $4,861.79 million in solar energy investments. It is predicted that in the next five years solar in New York will add more around 3,385 MW of solar energy in the next 5 years, predicting that they will move up in the rankings, four spots into 5th place. There are currently 115,212 solar-powered systems that are currently operating.
Solar in New York has a lot of potentials and has consistently seen a spot in the top 10 U.S. solar energy markets. That state also has other policies in place that are going to promote the investment in solar panels, including a feed-in-tariff through the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) investment and net metering. Through the Reforming the Energy Vision docket, the Energy Commission is reviewing the regulatory and market environment that is needed to encourage a more efficient electricity system, including increased amounts of distributed generation.
New York has some pretty notable solar panel installations:
- Long Island Solar Farm was completed in 2011 by the developer BP Solar. This solar energy project can generate 32 MW of solar electricity - enough to give power over 5,264 New York homes.
- The retailers in New York have led the way for solar panel installations, which include Anheuser-Busch, Bed Bath, and Beyond and Dr. Frank’s Vinifera Wine Cellars. Owens Corning has one of the largest solar panel installations in New York with 2 MW of solar energy capacity at their location in Feura Bush.
Solar Panels in Utah
Solar Panels in Utah are getting more and more popular, they moved up 17 spots to secure the 10 seats in 2019, with 1,660.96 MW of solar energy installed, enough power to provide 321,620 with solar electricity. The state also uses solar electricity for 6.40% of its electricity needs. The solar energy industry has created 6,045 solar energy jobs. Since solar panels' popularity is growing so are the solar companies. There are currently 140 solar companies in Utah, 21 which manufacturer solar panels, 68 that are solar installers and solar energy developers and 51 other solar energy jobs. The state has currently invested $2,655.55 million in solar energy. It is projected that in the next 5 years 942 MW, predicting that the state will drop to be placing it in the 20th ranking. Currently, there are 33,891 operation solar-powered systems in Utah,
There is some notables installation of solar panels in Utah:
- Utah Red Hills Renewable Energy Park was completed in 2016. The solar energy project can generate 104 MW of solar electricity, which is enough solar electricity to provide enough power for 20,419 homes in Utah
- Several large retailers in Utah have installed solar-powered systems which include IKEA, Patagonia, and Unita Brewing Company. IKEA has one of the largest solar-powered systems with 1 MW of solar capacity at its location in Draper. R
- The Buckhorn Solar Plant in Paragonah is another one of the largest solar panel installations in Utah with 3 MW of solar energy capacity. This project generates enough solar electricity to provides more than 589 homes with power in Utah.
Input your address to see if it is solar friendly and how much you can save with solar.
Great. Your address is perfect for solar. Solar incentive is still available. Select monthly utility cost and calculate the size of solar system you will need now.
|kw System size||years Payback period||Lifetime savings|
No money down, 100% finance is available.
Want to Help Your State Make the Top 10 List for Solar? Sign Up For a Solar Panel Installation Here